Inviting all community members to our monthly gathering.
Next Flute Circle Date: Monday, October 14, 2019, 6:30pm – 7:50 pm
Below is a Gainesville Flute Circle creating spontaneous song with 13 members (pictured below) on percussion while John plays his drone flute. Enjoy.
Flute Circle is typically the second Monday of the month with exceptions for federal holidays and voting situations.
Sign up for reminder notices and information pertinent to your interest in the Native American Style Flute.
Where: Millhopper Library on 43rd St., Gainesville, FL — Room B
Future Gainesville Flute Circle dates:
- Monday, Oct. 14, 2019
- Monday, Nov. 18, 2019 (* Note: this month we meet on the 3rd Monday of the month because the 2nd Monday is Veteran’s Day).
- Monday, Dec. 9, 2019
——————————– The Next Year ————–
- Monday, January, 13, 2020
- Monday, February 10, 2020
- Monday, March 16, 2020 (*Note: the 3rd Monday of the month because early voting occurs at the library on our regular date).
- Monday, April 13, 2020
- Monday, May 11, 2020
- Monday, June 8, 2020
- Monday, July 13, 2020
- Monday, August 17, 2020 (*Note: the 3rd Monday of the month because early voting occurs at the library on our regular date).
- Monday, September 14, 2020
- Monday, October 12, 2020
- Monday, November 9, 2020
- Monday, December 14, 2020
Other information of interest:
- List of Florida PowWows
- Musical Echoes Festival Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Native Rhythms Festival Melbourne, FL runs on November 8 – 10, 2019
If you would like to receive notifications about the Gainesville Flute Circle please contact me via the contact page.
What to bring:
– A Native American style flute
– A spirit of exploration for the music of the flutes
– Rhythm instruments: shakers, drums, rhythm sticks
If you want to come and just listen, you are welcome. If you want to try a flute to see what it is like, many of our members bring extras and would be happy to let you try out a flute.
The Gainesville Flute Circle meets on the 2nd Monday of the month.
One of the things we focus on in the group is learning to improvise with the flute and the rhythm instruments. Below are three samples of improvisations we did at the Gainesville Flute Circle. Keep in mind no one quite knew what they were going to play ahead of time. There was no sheet music to follow.
A group of us at Flute Circle walked around in a circle while playing to the rhythm. Totally improvised. Below.
This next sample includes Jeff on flute, Greg on ukulele and Judy on the thunder machine.
Below the sample is a fast-paced dance. Often it is easier to hear the higher pitched flutes at the faster pace and certainly it is easier to play the smaller flutes at a faster pace!
This final sample below is our practice using ostinatos ( a repeated pattern /phrase of music). You will hear 2 or 3 people playing a pattern together with their flutes on the same key of flute. Two folks are playing percussion (drum and shakir) and the solo flute player improvises and weaves a song.